Saturn turns retrograde [20 Capricorn 31]
– April 30, 2019 (01:54 GMT+1)
Saturn, the planet which represents time, authority, responsibility, discipline and limitation turns retrograde this week. Nothing unusual there. All the slower-moving planets turn retrograde once a year for a few months at time.
If you have planets/angles at the degree where the planet is turning, you often feel or notice that particular planet’s presence in your life more acutely. You may be aware of a turning point in the area of your horoscope where the planet is changing direction.
Retrograde planets turn your attention inwards. The work takes place on the inside ready for when the planet turns direct. In Saturn’s case, this happens on September 18, 2019. Saturn will retreat back to 13 degrees Capricorn 55.
Notice if you run into a roadblock early this week. Consider where things aren’t working out the way you want them to. Is it time to stop or dig deeper as more work is required?
Saturn conjunct the South Node
What is unusual about this retrograde phase of Saturn is the placing of the South Node. The Nodes are karmic points in astrology. The South Node represents your comfort zone, your habits, where you retreat to when life gets tough. Sometimes, it indicates what’s not good for you and what you’re working towards releasing or letting go.
Keep these symbols in mind because, as Saturn turns retrograde, it does so conjunct the South Node in Capricorn. Also, Saturn will keep pace with the South Node as they retreat through the zodiac side-by-side. They only part ways when Saturn turns direct in September 2019.
What Does It All Mean?
This is unusual symbolism. When you look at the meaning of both symbols, in some ways, they represent opposite archetypes. Saturn’s nature is relentless, stubborn, determined. It can put immovable blocks in your way, obstacles that are solid or real. Whereas the South Node’s nature feels boundless, the places you fall in to or where in life you give in.
Here are a few ideas of how this might play out for you:
- You feel as if you’re going backwards and you’re stuck
- You’re learning lessons the hard way
- You’re falling into bad habits and feeling despondent
- You’ve run up against an obstacle and need to find an alternative solution
- You’re fed up of feeling stuck and you’re determined to do things differently
- You’re ready to let go of fear or doubt and release habitual behaviour
- Something in your life isn’t working out and you’re ready to move on
- You need more time alone and are seeking solitude and quiet
- You’re ready to step off the treadmill and stop working so hard
- An inner/spiritual path is calling you, one that’s less to do with work and materialism
Once you start playing around with the symbolism, you realise that this can mean more than one thing. There’s no absolute answer about what it means for you. It depends on you, your current situation and, perhaps, how strong you are feeling right now.
What this combination does call for is a reality check. Look deep within to see what’s holding you back and where you’re ready to learn, let go and move on. You may feel as if you’re stuck between a rock and hard place. Yet, with a shift in perspective, you might be able to see things differently.
Don’t force it if it doesn’t feel right. Be patient and consider your long-term options. This is the ideal time to draw up a plan that helps you tackle a sticking point in your life. Aim to stay on track until September when Saturn and the South Node part ways.
Here’s a reminder of the areas of your life where you’re most likely to feel the Saturn/South Node combination. Read your Sun sign and your Ascendant sign, if you know it:
- Capricorn – 1st house – personal goals/aims, physical body, image & self-perception
- Aquarius – 12th house – sacrifice, inner work, a spiritual retreat, caring for self & others
- Pisces – 11th house – friends, groups, politics, social causes, hopes & wishes
- Aries – 10th house – career & vocation, status & reputation, authority, future path
- Taurus – 9th house – travel, study, the bigger picture, life’s meaning & purpose
- Gemini – 8th house – joint finances & shared resources, taboos, all things hidden & mysterious
- Cancer – 7th house – relationships, both personal & professional, contracts, enemies
- Leo – 6th house – work & routine, lifestyle & health, service to others
- Virgo – 5th house – children & creativity, love affairs & luck, fun & entertainment
- Libra – 4th house – home & family, the past, your legacy, where you come from
- Scorpio – 3rd house – communication, siblings, neighbours, community, your voice
- Sagittarius – 2nd house – money & possessions, values & self-worth
Do let me know in the comments below how this is playing out for you. It brings the astrology to life when we see what the planetary symbolism coincides with in our own lives.