Mercury Turns Direct [8 Capricorn 08]
– January 18, 2023 (13:13 GMT)
Communication planet Mercury is about to turn direct after three weeks retrograde. Mercury went into retreat in earth sign Capricorn, the star sign linked to planning and long-term goals, on December 29, 2022.
You may have experienced the usual communication issues over the last three weeks. Or, perhaps you’ve been hibernating and have been enjoying a communion with spirit or your inner self.
When Mercury’s retrograde, you’re playing a waiting game and information is hidden from you. Mercury’s change of direction can bring news to light and reveal clarity & understanding. The way ahead comes into form.
Mercury turning direct may bring clarity but there’s another factor involved. On the same day, January 18th, there’s a powerful Sun/Pluto conjunction at 28° Capricorn, near the end of the star sign. This combination can flag up an ending and Pluto can be a destructive force.
Therefore, Mercury’s switch in direction could reveal what you can and can’t do and which doors are closed to you. Someone may say no to you during this Mercury direct phase. Alternatively, you need to say no to someone else.
The Sun/Pluto conjunction in Capricorn means business. This is a power combination, resilient and strong. Once you have key information at hand, this may be the time to be resolute and step into your power.
Also, talk planet Mercury will meet Pluto on February 10th. This is the last time a personal planet will meet Pluto in Capricorn before Pluto enters Aquarius on March 28th. This could coincide with a definitive move in your life, a time to issue an ultimatum or speak powerfully.
As Pluto’s been in Capricorn since 2008, this is major. Admittedly, Pluto will return to Capricorn from June 2023 to January 2024 and there will be one final Sun-Pluto conjunction on January 20, 2024.
Yet, something may be coming to an end right now. Or, you find the power you need to dig deep and stand firm.
Here are the all-important Mercury retrograde dates & degrees:
- December 12: Mercury shadow period began – Mercury at 8° Capricorn.
- December 29: (09:31 GMT): Mercury turned retrograde [24 Capricorn 21]
- January 7: Sun conjunct Mercury retrograde – cazimi moment – mid-way point
- January 18: (13:13 GMT): Mercury turns direct [08 Capricorn 08]
- February 7: Mercury shadow period ends – Mercury at 24° Capricorn.
- February 10: Mercury conjunct Pluto [28 Capricorn 58]
The shadow phase is when Mercury is back at the same degree in the zodiac where it turned retrograde. This could prove to be a significant turning point regarding this week’s events and what occurs.
What Mercury Retrograde Is Good For
Use the Mercury direct phase to your advantage:
- try again – second chances are a classic Mercury direct theme
- sort out any misunderstandings
- consider what Mercury retrograde taught you, i.e. where are you wasting your time?
- speak your mind
- initiate a conversation
- write a list – keep it short, deal with what’s most important or urgent in your life
- do what you say you will, recommit to a promise
- handle any technological or transport issues
- plug back in, renew your energy & focus
- issue an ultimatum
What It Means For You
This is where Mercury will be turning direct in your horoscope. Read both your Sun sign and Ascendant sign:
- Capricorn – personal goals/aims, identity, image & self-perception
- Aquarius– inner work, spiritual retreat, caring for self & others
- Pisces – friends, groups, politics, social causes
- Aries – career & vocation, status & reputation, future goals
- Taurus– exploration, study, the bigger picture
- Gemini – joint finances & shared resources, all things hidden & taboo
- Cancer – relationships, personal & professional, contracts
- Leo – work & routine, lifestyle & health, service to others
- Virgo – children & creativity, love affairs & luck, fun & play
- Libra – home & family, the past, your legacy, where you come from
- Scorpio – communication, siblings, neighbours, your community
- Sagittarius – money & assets, values & self-worth
If you would like to receive weekly horoscopes so you know what to expect & keep up-to-date with the latest astrology, you can join my subscription service here: Weekly Horoscopes. Be in flow with the cycles of nature.
J. C. says
Sally, one more question about Mercury Retrograde: I unwittingly planned a safari for early May, which will be entirely during the Mercury retrograde period. I can’t change it now. What do I need to watch out for?
J. C. says
I forgot to mention: This is a trip that was postponed from 2020 due to the pandemic. The “re-do” is ok for Mercury retrograde right?
Sally Kirkman says
I love being away on a Mercury retrograde – anything that shifts your perspective on life and gives you a different way of thinking is great. The proviso is to double-check all paperwork, travel plans, etc. and give yourself more time to get from A to B. Be flexible. Have fun 🙂 And yes, Mercury retrograde is great for ‘re-do’ing.
J. C. says
Boy, the Mercury retrograde made lots of trouble for me. My landscaping plan was denied by the Architectural Committee of the HOA on Jan 13. I just sent an appeal letter to the Board of the HOA yesterday (Jan 20). The Board will meet on Jan 25. I waited until the Mercury turned direct before I filed my appeal. Now I’m reading the Sun/Pluto conjunction you mentioned. Does that mean I’ll be told no again??? I hope not. I think I wrote strong counter arguments (in near 3 pages, single space).
I’m Scorpio so yes, the “community” part is right on.
Hi Sally – that Sun/Pluto conjunction will be very close to my natal Saturn/Jupiter conjunction at 25 degrees of Capricorn- should I be worried?! Or is the orb too wide?
Usual thanks for your insights and lovely writing style!
Sally Kirkman says
Personally, I would think it’s too wide. Pluto is so slow-moving that it was at 25 Capricorn in 2020/2021. However, Mercury turned retrograde at 24 Capricorn, so events this week may be linked to what took place in December 2022. A finality about a project or a good time to make a big decision. Hope that helps 🙂
Thanks Sally – that’s very interesting, as I can see an immediate link to something that happened in December. My mum’s cousin died on the 17th after my battling the NHS to get her home from hospital (unsuccessfully, i might add), and we had her funeral yesterday, so that’s a definite link.
It’s also interesting that you mention Pluto being conjunct with my conjunction in 2020-1, as it has been a very difficult and traumatic few years (I think I told you a while ago that i lost both my mum and my dog at the end of 2020). Just shows the power of astrology! I’m just apprehensive now as I’m an Aquarian, so I’ve got these two heavy planets heading for my natal 29’ Sun!! Oh well….??
Sally Kirkman says
‘As above, so below’ – you can see how the planets are mirroring/coinciding with key events in your life. It’s such a useful tool to know your astrology as well. If your Sun is 29° Aquarius, you’ve got your Saturn Return coming up – a different vibe to the first one age 29/30 as it coincides with a Jupiter Return – more about wisdom, experience & expertise. A good time for reassessment and review. Pluto won’t reach your Sun for another 20 years.