Mercury turns retrograde [24 Capricorn 21]
– December 29, 2022 (09:31 GMT)
I couldn’t help bursting into song as I was writing the title to my latest blog article. Yes, we have the next Mercury retrograde phase starting as we get ready to close the door on 2022. A timely reminder to slow down and review the year that’s gone before leaping into 2023.
As an Aries Ascendant, I’m often raring to go and ready to leap into the next new thing and I love the promise of a New Year. Yet, there’s so much to be gained from slowing down before speeding up.
The current astrology agrees as action planet Mars is retrograde until January 12, 2023 & communication planet Mercury is retrograde from December 29, 2022 to January 18, 2023.
Slow Down, Reconnect
Take some time as the year closes to reconnect with your purpose, celebrate your wins, acknowledge your mistakes & be grateful for your place on this earth. What do you want less of & what do you want more of moving into 2023?
This feels relevant for a Mercury retrograde phase in earth sign Capricorn, the star sign that loves to have a long-term plan and line up a new mountain to climb, literally or metaphorically.
Capricorn season is midwinter in the northern hemisphere, the time to hibernate, to nourish and nurture the roots of life, including your roots. Give yourself time to escape from the world, find your retreat and reconsider where contentment and meaning lie.
Read books, journal, tap into your creative or spiritual source, appreciate your past and where you come from. Slow down the pace and allow your mind to unwind and your body to rest. Give yourself space to turn inwards where the richness of the Mercury retrograde phase is waiting for you.
Here are the Mercury Retrograde dates & data:
- December 12: Mercury shadow period began – Mercury at 8° Capricorn.
- December 29: (09:31 GMT): Mercury turns retrograde [24 Capricorn 21]
- January 7: Sun conjunct Mercury retrograde – cazimi moment – mid-way point
- January 18: (13:13 GMT): Mercury turns direct [08 Capricorn 08]
- February 7: Mercury shadow period ends – Mercury at 24° Capricorn.
Don’t forget that Mercury Retrograde can sometimes trip you up. You may experience communication chaos, appliances could go wonky, travel plans may change, your plans may be delayed and it’s harder to get hold of the right people. Another good reason to move slowly and allow yourself plenty of time to get from A to B.
Yet, the reflective side of this Mercury retrograde phase is most important as Mercury turns tail in a lovely sextile aspect to creative, compassionate Neptune, the planet of the imagination. Their first connection is exact on December 25th and they come together again on January 2nd.
A sextile aspect is supportive and helpful. It’s a reminder to make time as one year ends and a new year begins to consider the year that’s gone and the year that’s arriving. Never lose sight of the power of the imagination and our need as human beings to allow ourselves to dream.
Here’s a quick reminder of the areas of your life where Mercury turns retrograde. Read your Sun Sign & Ascendant sign
- Capricorn – personal goals/aims, identity, image & self-perception
- Aquarius– inner work, spiritual retreat, caring for self & others
- Pisces – friends, groups, politics, social causes
- Aries – career & vocation, status & reputation, future goals
- Taurus– exploration, study, the bigger picture
- Gemini – joint finances & shared resources, all things hidden & taboo
- Cancer – relationships, personal & professional, contracts
- Leo – work & routine, lifestyle & health, service to others
- Virgo – children & creativity, love affairs & luck, fun & play
- Libra – home & family, the past, your legacy, where you come from
- Scorpio – communication, siblings, neighbours, your community
- Sagittarius – money & assets, values & self-worth
Happy New Year 🙂
If you would like to receive weekly horoscopes so you know what to expect & keep up-to-date with the latest astrology, you can join my subscription service here: Weekly Horoscopes. Be in the flow so you can plan ahead.
Leave a Reply