MERCURY RETROGRADE – June 18 to July 12, 2020
We are heading closer to the next Mercury Retrograde phase which begins this week. This is a strange Mercury Retrograde because it happens during eclipse season. There’s already been so much talk about the eclipses that the trickster planet Mercury has almost been forgotten.
Take Your Time
In fact, the general themes of both eclipses and Mercury Retrograde are similar, that something’s hidden. The same advice applies to both, play a waiting game until a new picture is revealed and whatever’s been hidden comes to light.
Mercury turns retrograde at 14 Cancer, the opposite degree to the final Lunar Eclipse in the Cancer/Capricorn eclipse cycle on July 5th, at 13 Capricorn. Therefore, the two are linked and we need to wait for this ‘topsy-turvy’ picture to unfold and see what will be revealed further down the line.
Personally, I wouldn’t start booking trips or leaping back into ‘normal life’ just yet, even though many countries are starting to open up. Instead, play a waiting game for a few weeks. Explore your options for sure but take your time and don’t rush back out into the world.
Mercury Retrograde Dates
- June 2 2020: Mercury was at 5 Cancer – the shadow period begins
- June 18 2020 (05:59 GMT+1): Mercury turns retrograde [14 Cancer 46]
- July 1 2020: Sun conjunct Mercury retrograde – 9 Cancer
- July 12 2020 (09:26 GMT+1): Mercury turns direct [5 Cancer 30]
- July 26 2020: Mercury reaches 14 Cancer – shadow period ends
The fact that Mercury is retrograding in Cancer seems fitting for our current times. Cancer is the star sign which represents home & family, also the past and where you come from.
Some of you may be reconnecting with family or loved ones who you haven’t seen for some time. And, this would be an ideal time to do so, as long as you stay safe & keep social distancing.
Looking Back In Joy
It’s also a time when many of us will be feeling wistful about the past which got me thinking about nostalgia. I found a wonderful article on the internet talking about the importance of past connections and looking back in joy. It talked about how nostalgia can elevate themes of meaningfulness, connectedness and continuity in your life.
Nostalgia means ‘the longing to return home’ and this is a powerful Mercury retrograde to remind yourself of the people & places no longer in your life and what they meant and mean to you.
It’s not about ruminating over the past or lamenting what’s lost. Instead, it’s about enjoying your memories and dwelling in happy times to help you deal with whatever situation you find yourself in right now.
Hold that thought and use this Mercury retrograde phase to reconnect with people from your past and to reflect on your life. Review your options so you have some clarity when the time is right to move forwards once again.
Re-member that all the re-words belong to Mercury retrograde, including re-st and re-treat. On that note, I’m going to be taking a couple of weeks off work starting during Mercury retrograde.
I’ll put the dates on my website, so you know when I’m available for astrology readings and when I’ll be putting my feet up and reminiscing.
What It Means For You
Here are the key areas of upper life where Mercury retrograde (& the eclipses) are currently stirring things up.
The advice is take the pace slow in the areas mentioned – explore your options but don’t make the big decisions just yet. Read both your Sun sign & your Ascendant sign if you know it:
- Cancer – personal goals/aims, identity, image & self-perception
- Leo – inner work, a spiritual retreat, caring for self & others
- Virgo – friends, groups, politics, social causes, hopes & wishes
- Libra – career & vocation, status & reputation, future goals
- Scorpio – travel, study, the bigger picture, life’s meaning & purpose
- Sagittarius – joint finances & shared resources, all things hidden & taboo, the metaphysical realm
- Capricorn – relationships, both personal & professional, contracts, opponents
- Aquarius – work & routine, lifestyle & health, service to others
- Pisces – children & creativity, love affairs & luck, fun & entertainment
- Aries – home & family, the past, your legacy, where you come from
- Taurus – communication, siblings, neighbours, community, your voice
- Gemini – money & assets, values & self-worth
If you would like to receive weekly horoscopes so you know what’s happening when and what it means for you, join my subscription service here: Weekly Horoscopes.
Be in flow & use the timing of astrology to your advantage.