This is one watery eclipse coming our way at the weekend. Ironically it’s called a Ring of Fire eclipse as the shadow of the Moon won’t totally cover the Sun and a circle of orange will be visible around the rim. Plus the eclipse is sandwiched by powerful Mars aspects and Mars in Aries is another fiery influence.
Yet the solar eclipse that takes place on February 26 2017 (14:58 GMT) is most definitely in the water sign Pisces and this is the last in a cycle of eclipses highlighting the Virgo/Pisces axis of the zodiac. Here’s the full set complete with the type of eclipse, Lunar (Full Moon) or Solar (New Moon), and their sign & degree:
- March 20 2015 – Solar – (29 Pisces 27)
- September 13 2015 – Solar – (20 Virgo 10)
- March 9 2016 – Solar – (18 Pisces 56)
- September 1 2016 – Solar – (9 Virgo 21)
- September 16 2016 – Lunar – (24 Pisces 20)
- February 26 2017 – Solar – (8 Pisces 12)
During this weekend’s eclipse, the Sun and Moon sit side by side. A New Moon in Pisces, the sign linked to sensitivity, empathy, boundless behaviour, romance, the artistic soul, spirituality.
An eclipse accelerates the New Moon potential but often one door has to close before a new door can open. Eclipses pull in the karmic nodes which is why they often symbolise destiny moments, major turning points in life.
There is a theme of endings and beginnings with this eclipse. Endings because it’s the last in an eclipse cycle which began two years ago and Pisces is the last sign of the zodiac. Beginnings because it’s a Solar or New Moon eclipse and the start of a new monthly or lunar cycle.
The sign of Pisces is boundless. Think of the symbolism of the sea, a creative whirlpool filled with magical beings and vast undiscovered depths. Pisces is one of the water signs, linked to emotion, instinctual behaviour and the unspoken realm. This is where imagination and inspiration reside, psychic occurrences, life beyond the everyday. There’s great potential this weekend for tapping into something extra-ordinary.
There are two more planets in Pisces pulled in to the Solar Eclipse and they are Mercury (communication) and Neptune (compassion/confusion). This adds to the Pisces theme and when you let your imagination run wild or you let your compassion guide you, miracles can happen. That’s the theory at least.
Yet at some point you need to tie down those brilliant ideas, harness that creative energy and keep surfing the wave until you reach solid ground. This is not just a small Pisces wave to surf, it’s the big one so do your best to ensure you pull off the Perfect 10 rather than tumble and fall and head for wipeout.
Pisces is the sign linked to grace, surrender and forgiveness. Tap into your intuition and your soft, gentle emotions this weekend, let them guide you and be restorative for yourself and others. Be careful of disappearing into a whirlpool or vortex of emotion and if you need to lose yourself, do so in music, poetry, art, film, romance, the divine.
Star Sign Guidance
Here’s a quick guide to which area of your life is in the eclipse zone. Read your Sun sign first followed by your Ascendant:
- Aries: Retreat, quiet time, seclusion, service to others, introspection
- Taurus: Friends, groups, social networks, social concerns, hopes & wishes
- Gemini: Career, vocation, status, your role in the public eye
- Cancer: Travel, education, learning, your philosopy of life
- Leo: Joint finances, sex, life’s mysteries
- Virgo: Relationships, your 1-to-1’s both personal & professional
- Libra: Health, work, your everyday lifestyle & routine
- Scorpio: Children, creativity, entertainment, love affairs, luck
- Sagittarius: Home, family, your past, where you come from
- Capricorn: Communication, siblings, neighbours, your local community
- Aquarius: Money, resources, your personal values
- Pisces: Self, image, name, your identity
The Virgo/Pisces axis represents service, caring and compassion. Listen to where in life you’re being called forth, where kindness is needed and where you can help others. Rise to the challenges which come your way and steer yourself in a new direction but refuse to be rushed.
Traditionally you’re advised to wait a few days after an eclipse before taking action or making big decisions. This is especially important now with Mars in impulsive mood immediately following the eclipse weekend (see Red Hot Mars). Tread carefully and be mindful over the next few days.
[n.b. the eclipse will be visible in the most southern part of the southern hemisphere.]