Sunday 9 April (23:15 GMT) until Wednesday 3 May (16:33 GMT) 2017
I was coming home the other night from the big city and arrived at the station with two options in front of me. One: run at full pelt jostling the other passengers to get on the busy train that was about to depart. Two: walk calmly to the empty train that had just arrived guaranteeing a seat albeit a 15 minute wait before it left the station.
I chose option Two although on another occasion, I may have decided that time was of the essence and rushed for the fast train.
Mercury Retrograde Alert
This is similar to what’s happening during this next Mercury Retrograde phase which begins today, Sunday 9th April or tomorrow, Monday 10th April, depending where you live (GMT times are above).
This is because Mercury begins its retrograde phase at 4 degrees Taurus on April 9th but in 10 days time on April 20th Mercury retreats back into Aries where it turns direct 13 days later on May 3rd at 24 degrees Aries.
Taurus & Aries Themes
So communication planet Mercury is on the slow train in Taurus, one of the earth signs, for 10 days. This Mercury is walking, perhaps dragging its heels and repeating past behaviour in the sign that rules food, produce, money and nature. Then Mercury leaps back into Aries and on to the fast train for the next 13 days, retracing its steps at top speed. Aries rules fast cars, adrenalin, competition and battles.
The Mercury Retrograde themes remain throughout the 3 1/2 weeks, i.e. potential mishaps & misunderstandings, but you may experience each Mercury phase differently as it moves from a slow earth sign, Taurus, to a fast fire sign, Aries.
Mercury is especially lively in Aries because it unites with unpredictable Uranus on April 28th although sensible Saturn calms things down a few days earlier on April 24th. Even so, this part of the Mercury retrograde phase feels urgent & erratic.
This could be a particularly tense Mercury retrograde phase for communication because Mercury in Taurus can be stubborn and Mercury in Aries argumentative. So trying to reach an agreement, an amicable solution, a compromise could be tricky. Remember too that Mercury rules transport, trade and technology so it’s not the best time to buy a new car, attempt to fix what’s broken or invest wildly. Be patient and wait for Mercury to turn around once again.
How To Survive & Thrive Mercury Retrograde
Here’s what you are advised to do whilst Mercury is retrograde:
- take a step back & leave the big decisions for another time
- plug in to the re-words; re-vise, re-view, re-flect, re-consider, re-think
- give yourself permission to change your mind
- look at life from a fresh perspective – upside down, back-to-front; think outside of the box
- indulge in a media detox, sit & do nothing
- research what you’re planning in the future
- walk backwards, slow down, take it easy
- chase up old contacts, reconnect with friends and family from your past
- don’t believe everything you hear
- be patient, keep your options open
- double check all your arrangements, allow plenty of time to get from A to B
- try again where you failed in the past; second chances come highly recommended
- have plans B, C & D up your sleeve, especially if you’re travelling
- be flexible, be adaptable, go with the flow & see where life leads
- remember it’s not about reaching the destination, it’s about enjoying the journey
- engage your sense of humour at all times
Whether you’re travelling on the slow train or the fast train over the next few weeks, expect one or few detours thanks to Mercury retrograde. Yet be willing to try different tactics too.
Make this Mercury retrograde phase a dance through the cosmos, a slow sexy tango followed by a flirty quickstep, even if at times you are facing in the wrong direction!