Mercury Retrograde has become common terminology which even non-astrologers understand and it’s always best to be prepared. Mercury turns retrograde this week on April 21st, the day after the fierce Solar Eclipse in the last degree of Aries on April 20th.
This is intriguing timing as it’s always worth waiting a few days for eclipse activity to settle down before taking action. This time around, you may be wise to put off the big decisions even longer as Mercury retraces its steps over the next three weeks until May 15th.
Mercury retrograde is synchronous with communication chaos when the winged messenger of the Gods, fleet-footed Mercury retreats for three weeks at a time.
Think of post going missing, dates getting muddled, mishaps, slip-ups and general misunderstandings. Plans can unravel when Mercury turns retrograde and you end up having to wait on information and other people. Yet you can not only survive but thrive when the planet of communication is on go slow if you put into what’s needed.
- back up important data before Mercury turns retrograde
- take a step back & leave the big decisions for another time
- plug into the re-words; re-vise, re-view, re-flect, re-consider, re-think
- give yourself permission to change your mind
- look at life from a fresh perspective – upside down, back-to-front; think outside of the box
- slow down, take it easy, go on retreat
- chase up old contacts, reconnect with friends and family from your past
- don’t believe everything you hear
- be patient, keep your options open
- try again where you failed in the past; second chances come highly recommended
- use the few days before Mercury turns direct to push through your ideas & plans
- have plans B, C & D up your sleeve, especially if you’re travelling
- be flexible, be adaptable, go with the flow & see where life leads
- remember it’s not always about reaching the destination, it’s about enjoying the journey
- engage your sense of humour at all times
Communication planet Mercury turns retrograde approximately three times a year and this year in all three earth signs, Capricorn, Taurus & Virgo.
Earth signs are linked to nature, getting back to basics, growing your own food, gardening, walking, meditating, feeling the connection between yourself and the earth.
Therefore, this year’s Mercury retrograde phases favour slowing down and grounding yourself. Walk barefoot on the earth, hug a tree, walk a dog. Plus, this Mercury retrograde phase falls in Taurus, sensual, affectionate, also stubborn and determined.
Why This Mercury Retrograde Is Special
Yet, there’s something else going on as Mercury switches direction at two significant degrees. On April 21st, Mercury turns retrograde at 15° Taurus and turns direct at 5° Taurus on May 15th. And, this isn’t the only planetary event lighting up these points in the zodiac.
The final two eclipses in the Taurus/Scorpio eclipse cycle also trigger these same two points. There’s a Full Moon Lunar Eclipse on May 5th with the Sun at 15° Taurus and the Moon at 15° Scorpio.
Then, on October 28th, there’s another Full Moon Lunar Eclipse with the Sun at 5° Scorpio and the Moon at 5° Taurus. The eclipses are highlighting the exact same points in the zodiac as this Mercury retrograde phase.
And, there’s more. The biggest and best planet Jupiter moves into Taurus on May 16th, the day after Mercury turns direct. Jupiter travels through each star sign for approximately one year. On September 4th, Jupiter turns retrograde at 15° Taurus. Then on December 31st, Jupiter turns direct at 5° Taurus.
This means that if you have planets or angles close to these two important degrees – 5° Taurus and 15° Taurus – they are being triggered big-time.
Work With Astrology
What does it mean? Perhaps, whatever you’re working on during this Mercury retrograde phase is going to be hugely significant for you this year.
You might be writing, reading, researching or going back to an old job or project. Perhaps, you’re looking at ways of earning money or helping other people, be considering a move or want to reach out and reconnect.
Whatever you’re doing right now may benefit you hugely by the end of the year. The eclipses promise change, something coming to an end, while Jupiter sweeps in abundance and new opportunity.
Pay close attention to these key points in your horoscope and use the timing of this Mercury retrograde to your advantage. The midpoint falls on May 1st when Mercury has its conversation with the Sun, a cazimi and magical moment. Something may burst into life.
Yet, the major shift comes mid-May when Mercury turns direct on May 15th, Jupiter enters Taurus on May 16th and there’s a New Moon in Taurus on May 19th. It’s All Systems Go. There is the added caveat of Pluto square Jupiter on May 18th but we’ll talk about what that means for you nearer the time.
If you would like to get the low-down on all the astrology to benefit your life, the Weekly Horoscopes & Astrology Newsletter is written especially for you. It’s written with love and lands in your inbox every Sunday morning so you can plan your week ahead.
If you want to know where all the excitement is taking place in your horoscope, read the quick guide below. It’s relevant for both your Sun sign and your Ascendant sign.
Where It Falls
- Taurus – 1st house: your image and body, your personal goals and aims
- Aries – 2nd house: your money, assets, possessions, values, self-worth
- Pisces – 3rd house: communication, your local community, transport, siblings, neighbours and schools
- Aquarius – 4th house: your home and family, your past and where you come from
- Capricorn – 5th house: love affairs, your children, creative projects, entertainment and luck
- Sagittarius – 6th house: your work and routine, your health and lifestyle, your employees, volunteering
- Scorpio – 7th house: your relationships, both personal & professional, contracts, one-to-one negotiation
- Libra – 8th house: joint finances and shared resources, the metaphysical realm, what’s taboo and hidden
- Virgo – 9th house: travel, education, your philosophy and beliefs, where you find meaning and purpose
- Leo – 10th house: your career and vocation, your reputation and status, your future path
- Cancer – 11th house: your friends, groups and wider society, your tribe, your politics
- Aries – 12th house: inner work, solitude, quiet time, sacrifice and surrender
If you would like to receive weekly horoscopes and feel reassured and comforted about what’s happening in the month ahead, you can join my subscription service here: Weekly Horoscopes.
Leave a Reply