The first death of the coronavirus was reported on January 11, 2020, one day before the Saturn-Pluto conjunction in Capricorn on January 12, 2020.
Much has been talked about these two major planets meeting in Capricorn, the sign of the establishment, structure, big business & government. Add to the Saturn-Pluto conjunction a pile-up of planets in Capricorn, including an eclipse, and the foundations of many people’s lives have subsequently altered dramatically.
Jupiter Conjunct Pluto
Now, we have Jupiter joining Pluto in Capricorn, not once but three times in 2020 on the following dates. The third and final connection is very close to the degree of the Saturn/Pluto conjunction, so we must see them as linked:
- Jupiter conjunct Pluto [24 Capricorn 53] – April 5, 2020 (03:45 GMT+1)
- Jupiter R conjunct Pluto R [24 Capricorn 06] – June 30, 2020 (06:46 GMT+1)
- Jupiter conjunct Pluto [22 Capricorn 51] – November 12, 2020 (21:39 GMT)
The Saturn/Pluto conjunction coincided with the onset of the virus. Jupiter, the planet of growth, expands what it touches and Pluto is the planet linked to invisibility, death & loss and brings irrevocable change.
It’s vivid symbolism and so apt for what’s happening around the world. The invisible virus has spread globally. Note that Jupiter is the planet which rules travel & foreign connections.
We know by looking back in history that Jupiter/Pluto conjunctions have previously taken place during times of plague. For example, the Spanish Flu was known as the ‘1918 flu pandemic’ and Jupiter and Pluto made a conjunction in Cancer in August 1918. Note, these two planets meet approximately once every 13 years.
With our current timeline, it’s growing more likely that this is not going to be a short-term situation. What’s happening now and since the beginning of 2020 is moving us forward into a new chapter of history, an unfolding, the likes of which most of us have never seen before in our lifetime.
Yes, there will be positive factors that come out of this crisis, especially once Jupiter joins Saturn in Aquarius. At least, that’s my view personally. We can already see the changes in society, a feeling of togetherness which is so symbolic of Aquarius, the sign of brotherhood & sisterhood.
The earth’s getting a clean up and we’re being forced to examine our consumer lifestyle, our unquenchable thirst for material possessions, our self-ish society. What works, what doesn’t.
Yet, this year is continuing to bring new challenges and we know that Jupiter and Pluto together are often about money. Uranus, the planet of change, is already moving through Taurus, the star sign which rules money, food & produce. It’s a great time to ‘grow your own’ and become more self-sufficient and we’re moving closer to a cash-less society, which currently seems safer than using money.
In 2020, Jupiter, the planet of abundance and Pluto, the planet of the plutocracy, are side by side. These two planets are often in aspect in the charts of people who have big money moving through their hands, themes of power & wealth.
In fact, these two planets made their last conjunction in Sagittarius, Jupiter’s sign of rulership in 2007, the year before the global recession in 2008. Jupiter was strong in Sagittarius, its sign of rulership. Conjunct Pluto, this was the bubble, the over-inflation, the out-of-control spending and lending.
Jupiter in Capricorn is now in its sign of fall. If anything, most of us are having to restrict our finances drastically, rein in and make do as the global situation affects the world economy. Yet, as in all times of recession, there will be some people who do very nicely – thank you – often at the expense of others.
Brothers In Mythology; Brotherhood & Sisterhood
It would be nice to think of Jupiter and Pluto working together as they were brothers in mythology. Jupiter was King of the Gods, ruler of the sky, whereas Pluto was God of the Underworld and ruled over the realm of the dead.
Together, they are a symbol of rebirth and renewal. Jupiter brings truth & justice to the worlds of corruption and loss. Jupiter also rules knowledge and learning and Pluto knows how to dig deep, to uncover hidden riches.
This could, therefore, be seen as a symbol of seeking a cure for the virus. We will see as the year progresses how this powerful planetary duo reveal themselves.
On a personal level, this is a helpful time to dig deep in your own life, to go into the shadows, to look in the dark places and seek a new understanding of your self.
Pluto is linked to self-analysis and Jupiter’s the planet whereby you find meaning in your life. There’s huge opportunity and power in this combination that’s worth taking hold of.
You may be ready to commit to a new project or undertaking, one that requires self-discipline, laser focus and inner strength. What you begin now could create something incredible in your life or the lives of others by the last quarter of the year when Jupiter’s getting ready to leave Capricorn.
You may discover a new obsession and give yourself to it 100%. Notice during this first meeting of Jupiter and Pluto where you’re being called forth and what your spirit is yearning for. At its best, this combination has the potential to transform and change lives and it can work on both an inner and outer level.
These are extraordinary times we’re living through. It’s how we respond both individually and together as a society that will determine what our world looks like at the end of 2020.
Keywords; Star Sign Meanings
Below are some keywords to help you think further about what this powerful conjunction of Jupiter and Pluto may mean in your life. Also, the areas of your horoscope being triggered by the Jupiter-Pluto conjunction. Read both your Sun sign and Ascendant sign.
Note the degrees of the conjunction mentioned too – see above. If you have planets or angles close to 22-24 degrees, this could be especially powerful for you.
Often, with a conjunction, the two planets are effectively doing battle with one another, vying for power. Ideally, you want to harness the power of both and use them together.
- Wherever Jupiter resides in your horoscope, this is where you find luck, good fortune and opportunity. It’s an ideal time to take risks, be expansive and look on the bright side. Make the most of the area of life that’s highlighted by Jupiter.
- The big planet is linked to travel, foreign connections, higher education, the law, publishing, the media and religion. Jupiter represents truth and justice and is identified with the search for meaning and purpose in life.
- Pluto doesn’t have the best reputation in astrology because its mythological archetype is God of the Underworld, linked to death, darkness and loss. Pluto can take you down to the underworld or you start to explore all that’s hidden in life, including the psyche and unexplained phenomena.
- Pluto’s ultimate goal is self-transformation and survival. When you return to the light from the darkness, you often do so with valuable insight and hidden riches.
- Aries: career & vocation, status & reputation, your future path, parents
- Taurus: travel, study, philosophy, spirituality, where you seek meaning in life, the bigger picture
- Gemini: joint finances, shared resources, the metaphysical realm, sexuality, all things hidden & taboo
- Cancer: relationships – both personal & professional, contracts, opponents, partnership
- Leo: work & routine, lifestyle & health, service to others
- Virgo: love affairs, children & pregnancy, creative projects, entertainment, luck
- Libra: home & family, your past, your ancestry, where you come from
- Scorpio: communication – the spoken & written word, your voice, your local community, education, siblings & neighbours
- Sagittarius: money, possessions, assets, values, self-worth
- Capricorn: personal goals & aims, image & profile, your personal power
- Aquarius: inner work, retreat, spirituality, caring for others
- Pisces: friends & groups, society, politics, humanitarian & environmental causes
Stay well, stay safe, stay sane & stay connected – and please, stay in touch.
If you would like to receive regular weekly astrology updates so you know what’s happening in advance so you can make the most of your astrology, you can join my subscription service, Sally’s Stars, here: Weekly.